Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Dangers of Children on Sleds


So I have to say, that we had an awesome New Years Eve. First of all we went to three different parties, yea we're the popular kids, and they were all fun. Then we went to sleep, slept in, which was divine... and then we went on a double-date with a friend and his ladyfriend.
We arrived at the sledding hill a bit before them and there were birds all over the frozen pond.... Birds + Chris =... well, if you know her then you know whats gonna happen... if you don't, lets start with the fact that she's got a bird thing. She even married a Bird, just so she could have the Last name Bird (smile honey :). Well, we played with the ducks, and threw them raisins, nuts and M&Ms. Yes, birds love chocolate candies too. I should know. Then Chris started to chase the birds around and kept saying she wanted to get closer to the ones in the frozen pond. I should've done something right then, but I played along. Next thing you know, the ice breaks and I grasp my lovely wife as she sinks into the frozen water. As she looks up at me with desperation, her daring and dashing husband scoops her out of the frozen danger and sets her down in safety. (pretty awesome huh?!) And Chris was so smart, she brought extra shoes and socks.
Well, next we brought our sleds, a.k.a - cardboards and kneeboards, which work awesome and cost less than sleds. Well, our first sledding event happened quickly after our pond experience... I went down on the kneeboard... right into a little 5 year old. Instead of taking him out though, I just scooped him up (I did a lot of scooping that day) and took him along for the ride. I think the kid even thanked me afterwards.
Well, after all the fun sledding I had everyone kneel on our cardboard sleds and take a picture, which was interrupted as a bunch of sledders aimed for us and we jumped out of the way.... leaving Chris' glasses behind to be broken into three pieces. (Miracle side note and note of thanks all in one: Chris' mom just found another pair of Chris' glasses -same day- and brought them to us... perfect timing Nancy, Thanks). Well, after "scooping" up the remains of Chris' glasses another sledding accident happened. Chris dove out of the way. I jumped and kicked a kid in the head then fell on my soft tooshie. Domino, my friend, was saved somehow to care for his date who was knocked almost to blackout and walked slowly to the car with Domino carefully holding her up. It was a precious moment, well yes, even painful moments can be precious when a guy is so sweet.
We asked her if she still wanted to go eat and she said, "Well yea, I'm hungry." So we went to Pei Wei (yes, free advertising for Pei Wei in Sugarhouse), and it was amazing. The waiter was really, really nice. I think his name Davie. We didn't leave him a tip though.
Happy New Years Everyone

No comments: