Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Caution for All Women: Be Careful What Your Husbands Wish For. It'll Usually End in Some Disaster

So We were having such a wonderful Christmastime and I saw a co-worker eating turkey and stuffing and I thought... well, we haven't had our Christmas Dinner yet. So I called up my lovely and supportive wife and asked her if she'd be so awesome as to make me a Christmas Dinner. And just like the wonderful woman that she is, she jumped up and went shopping for a ham and stuffing and all the fixuns. I felt guilty having asked her to "work" for me, but I was super excited that she was going to cook sucha meal. We were so excited we asked my sister and her family to come over and eat with us and enjoy a Wii Party together.
Ladies, I know this sounds like a fun, romantic evening, but it's not. Its just like a Sheep in Wolf's Clothing, Fun to think about, but not really a good thing at all. I mean, they'll all go out to eat the sheep and if he doesn't eat his friends the wolves'll find out he's not a wolf... and then Dinner is served. But not to the good guys.
Well, to preface this story a bit more: Chris had been frustrated by our old can opener so I bought a new one that I'd hoped would be better. I got home from work, smelled the wonderful ham and was so excited about the wonderful meal. Naively I didn't think about Murphy's Law... if it can get worse, it will.
So I got home, and I found out quickly that that new can opener was worse than the old one. So much so that my wife was no bledding profusely from her index finger. I looked into her strong woman eyes as she said, "Honey, I need stiches."
So we let my sister's family in and they ate dinner and played Wii while we went and ran around like, I have to apologize for the stereotype but this is exactly how I felt, like Illegal Immigrants who are rejected from treatment because they have no insurance... only we had insurance and they still showed us out....
Finally I made another dumb-man mistake and said we should go to Pioneer Valley Hospital, which we did. And there found a receptionist who knew me from the Library (everyone seems to know me from there) who had us wait for awhile, then we were shown to a room where they took her blood pressure and then waited for awhile, then we were shown to another room where they had us wait three times: once for the doctor to seat her, then to give her the anesthesia, then again because I guess he was waiting for her to go numb, which had already happened before he left the first time. Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate that they helped my wife get better, its just that my wife isn't cattle that you can deal with when you want to. Anyways, we got her stiched up and on Loratab!!! And home we went to play Wii and eat that amazing meal.
The best part is that we actually enjoyed the evening even though I backed into another car... and we had to wait forever as our dinner got colder-and eaten.... and Chris paid a price for doing what she does best and made me happy...
We joked in the car about how the ER bill was actually more than her Christmas Gift so I said she got her Real Christmas Gift in 3 beautiful stitches... She said that her gift to me still cost more (Guitar Hero III) She's always so good to me.

No comments: