Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My Main Man Rick (with added story about Awesome Kids)

So Chris and I have been praying for chances to help other out. And we have been given quite a few interesting ones. Just this morning, I was in the turning lane behind a guy on my way to work... when his car starts on fire. First there was a ton of smoke, and I'm thinkin.. whats this guy doing. Then I figured he probably needs some help so I jumped out, along with some nice Tongan guy behind me, and we pushed his car across traffic into a parking lot. We were being nice but the other drivers on the road need some nice lessons. We're pushing a car out there and cars are driving all around us! Are they nuts!
Well, yes... anyways, we had a chance to help someone at Church on Sunday. I was in my Gospel Principles class when we got introduced to a nice guy named Rick. I thought... Hurray! A Missionary Opportunity!... So after class, I approached him and talked to him a bit. He said he was lonely after his first girlfriend died and his wife divorced him and now his recent girlfriend wants to "move on." (We heard this same story quite a few times actually. I feel really bad for Rick) Well, I invited him over to our house with the missionaries (who were conveniently right next to us) and asked them for dinner and a discussion... hoping Chris would be all cool with it. Well, after Church, I got Rick planned to get picked up by the missionaries and approached Chris with the news. Like the wonder that she is... She not only said it would be great, but she had actually already signed up that very same day to have the missionaries come over for dinner at our house. So we had both planned on the missionaries coming over... we were totally following that telepathic married link that we've been developing late at nights with our minds.
Well, we got all excited and cleaned the house and Chris cooked up a magical wonder of wonderful food. When the missionaries arrived.. they didn't have Rick.. so off we drove in my little car to Ricks... (Editors Side Note: One of the Elders is 6 foot 10 inches tall... he didn't like my car very much.) We picked up Rick, who had just eaten dinner and came over to our banquet. Well, we had a scrupmtous dinner, which the missionaries loved as did I (I always love Chris' cooking) and so did Rick... again and again. I think he ate two plates full... and he'd already had dinner. And he had another plate after the lesson!
Then we sat down and the missionaries gave us this wonderful, spiritual lesson... hoping to get the sparks going so that Rick would be baptized. Everything went perfectly... he even said that this is the only Church that can be true. All the other ones are wrong. Then they asked him what would keep him from getting baptized in the Church? "I already did that." He says. Oh... so your LDS? "Yea. When I was 12 I got baptized." What?!!! So why didn't you let us know sooner? oh well, I'm glad he knows that our Church is true and that he would get baptized in it if he wasn't already. Now its my job to help him stay active in the Church.
So one more thing... I had an awesome time with the Awesome Kids that I teach weekly today. The lesson today was on Service. So I had them all make a "Get Well Soon" card for kids at the Primary Children's Hospital. Thier cards are sooooo cute and perfect. I know they are going to touch some kids lives... and definately will touch every mothers little heart strings for sure! My two favorites were this beautiful and colorful card that said "Get Will Soon" on it. And the other was from a really excited boy who drew a robot (thats what he told me it was at least) and then he wrote "I love Mom. To: Mom." Hahaha... I hope the kid can't read who gets that one. His mom will appreciate it though. I told them to write them for the kids but I guess he decided some mom needed a card too. How sweet of him.

No comments: