Monday, February 4, 2008

New Cupboards, The Patron From RudeWorld, and the Library Phenomenon

First of all, about a week ago, my lovely wife surprised me with a wonderful weekend off... I was on my way home and called her, and she said, "Thank goodness you called, I can't decide on which knobs to get. Can you come down to Lowe's and help me?".... Knobs? Lowe's? What? (my thoughts exactly)... I said yes. Then i got there and found out that we had paint, brushes, and all other neccessary items to repaint and redo the knobs in our kitchen... well, that wasn't my idea of the ideal weekend off, but I had Newleyweds with Jessica Simpson (I knew she would love it) in the car and I really wanted those cupboards changed so it works. Yes, for those men reading this in awe... I did, completly on my own, the newlyweds for Chris to watch... with me... yes I admit it. It was probably the one thing that made painting 6 hours straight bearable... that and Cinderella 3... well, to end that long project (many days later), last night we had our new hinges as well, and we started the project to reponerlos (put them back on the shelf for everyone who doesn't understand Espanol). Well, I put Chris to sleep... (yea, if I have the same effect on our kids, our kids will spend a lot of their time asleep, at least If i have any say on it), and while she slept, I got to work screwing all those ity-bity screws in the hinges and onto the cupboards... with my bare hands! Yea, I'm the ipitomy of manliness. My bare hands!!!!! Well, okay, with a hand screwdriver, but still. I'm super awesome... no power tools for me! Even though it was sitting out and ready to use. Well Chris woke up, suprised at my manly-work (what a play on words)... and she fell in love with me all over again. i qoute, "It's pretty sexy to watch your husband working hard with his shirt off and tools in his hands." (something like that)
I just need to vent a bit. So here I am, being my wonderfully calm self, when all of the sudden this lady comes up with two bags full of books. She doesn't ask or say anything but drops the bags on the counter in front of me, moves the towering piles of books that I was in the process of checking. She slids them to the side and says that I have to check in her items right then. Okay, I have no problem cattering to people, but where does she get the idea that she can moves my stuff around. Stuff I was actually working on as she moved them... i've never been so "violated." Okay, now I'm over it. Thanks for letting me vent.
Okay... now the phenomenon of the library... To start this out, I do need to explain that the library i work at is not your regular library. You do not come to this library to read, learn, find information, or just to go somewhere renowned for its quietness. No, you come to this library to pick up chicks (of the 14 and under type), dispute gossip heard from school, paint your nails, practice tagging, (no Chris, not your new job, I mean graffity), hang out, have a co-ed bathroom party, make out in the dark corners, and mostly just to use Myspace. So that said, all we deal with on a day-to-day basis are Junior High Kids... which to me is bizarre. I was a nerd in Junior High cause i liked to go to the library. Now the nerds aren't aloud. Its too selective. its the cool kids hangout and the gangster kids hideout. Well, the phenomenon is not just that. The librarians just started handing out applications to work on a youth level commity at the library. And guess what... they were diving at them to get an application... "I want to work at the library" was heard all over! What has happened here? But honestly, that is why I love this job. We really have an effect on the community here that not many other libraries can ever boast. And I love that I get to boast.

No comments: